Cincinnati VA Medical Center
Family Services Program
Sometimes, as part of a Veteran’s treatment, some members of the Veteran’s immediate family or the Veteran’s legal guardian may be included and receive services, such as family therapy, marriage counseling, grief counseling, etc. Examples of how VA helps families might include providing education about mental illness and treatment options. Family members might learn how to recognize symptoms and support recovery. In some treatment settings, a brief course of couples counseling or family therapy may be offered.
Family Services offers Family Psycho-education, Family Crisis Intervention, Family Therapy, Couples Therapy, Family Consultation, Skills Training and Supportive Services to loved ones of mentally ill Veterans. The caregiver or support person does not have to be a blood or legal relative to be eligible for services.
The Family Service Program is available to all Veterans with a serious mental health condition or family need.
Services available include:
- Time-limited couples therapy (6-8 sessions)
- Time-limited family therapy (6-8 sessions)
- Family crisis intervention
- Family consultation with assistance in referrals to other resources at VA and in the community
- PAIRS couples communication training: monthly workgroups and once/year weekend retreat
- Special Online Parenting (6 week online parent coaching for Veterans with children ages 3-9)
Hours of Operation
Mon and Wed, 8 am to 4:40 pm
Tue and Thur, 7 am to 3:30 pm; Fri 8 am to 5:30 pm