Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership (VITAL)
What is VITAL?
Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership is a Veteran-centered, results oriented, collaboration between the Cincinnati VA Medical Center (CVAMC) and higher education. We Strive to enhance academic retention and success. We understand the unique factors facing our Veteran students. We are here to help.
If you are a Veteran or concerned about a Veteran enrolled in a local college or university, VITAL will partner with you to resolve issues and find resources.
As a Veteran did you know?
- You have access to a VA psychologist on your campus.
- There are important benefits and resources available to you.
- You have someone who can help with VA Services.
- You have an ally at school that knows your unique needs as a student veteran.
- Treatment for adjustment, stress, anger, depression, anxiety, sleep problems and PTSD.
- Refer and work with university disability services to request academic accommodations.
- Support with University processes regarding academic actions and/or conduct issues.
- Assist with enrollment and care at the CVAMC.
- Obtain help and resources from within the VA and its affiliates including: Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) and Vocational Rehabilitation.
- Support with obtaining and using assistive technology devices such as hearing aids and screen-reader software.
- Support with development of Student Veteran Peer Groups including Student Veterans of America Chapters (SVA) http://www.studentveterans.org/ *
- Education for college/university staff about Military & Veteran culture.
- Consult about Veteran specific issues that impact performance and retention.
- Work with college/university counseling centers in serving the unique mental health needs of Veterans.
- Assist with communications between the CVAMC and college/university staff about your concerns, resources, and student needs.
What to Expect:
- Prompt attention to contact made to the VITAL program.
- VITAL will adhere to all privacy standards with respect and sensitivity.
- Maintain a Veteran-centered perspective keeping the Veteran's well-being and best interest in mind.
- Use of Research Based Treatments.
Jessica Thiede, Psy.D.
* Link(s) will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked website(s).
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
VITAL Initiative, Program Coordinator
Cincinnati VA Medical Center